Moonlight Movies on the Beach returns with two new venues at Long Beach City College
Moonlight Movies on the Beach is back for its 20th year this summer, this time with two new less sandy venues.
This year’s free summer movie series sponsored by Long Beach Transit will take place at Granada Beach and the Liberal Arts and Pacific Coast campuses of Long Beach City College (LBCC).
In recent years, screenings have taken place at Granada Beach, Junipero/Cherry Beach and Alamitos Beach near Villa Riviera. The organizers chose to move the screenings to the LBCC campuses because of their more accessible parking and larger rooms.
“The main reason [we changed venues] is just to be more inclusive and attract more people,” said Kris Gragson, spokesperson for the event. “These are free family events, and we want to hold them in other places to open up to people who may never have attended something like this.”
The free film screenings will take place on the following dates around 8 p.m.:
- June 21 – “Coco” at Granada Beach
- June 28 – “Black Widow” at Granada Beach
- June 30 – “Cruella” at LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- July 7 – “Wall E” at LBCC Pacific Coast Campus
- July 12 – “Goonies” at Granada Beach
- July 14 – “Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban” at LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- July 19 – “Dirty Dancing” at Granada Beach
- July 21 – “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” at LBCC Pacific Coast Campus
- July 26 – “Encanto” at Granada Beach
- August 2 – “Weird Science” at Granada Beach
- August 4 – “Spiderman No Way Home” at LBCC’s Pacific Coast Campus
- August 9 – “Luca” at Granada Beach
- August 11 – “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” at the LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- August 16 – “The Princess Bride” at Granada Beach
- August 18 – “The Wizard of Oz” at the LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
Events will include pre-show entertainment from live bands and “meets and greets” according to the film, like Darth Vader and Stormtroopers for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” according to Gragson.
Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs to sit on and are welcome to bring their own picnics, although food trucks are present. Film screenings are family and pet friendly.
Screenings will take place at the following addresses: Granada Beach at 4120 Ocean Blvd., the LBCC Liberal Arts Campus at 4901 East Carson St. and the LBCC Pacific Coast Campus at 1305 Pacific Coast Hwy.
For more information, visit www.moonlightmoviesonthebeach.com.